The mission of the Cadet Program (CP) of the Long Meadow Volunteer Fire Company, Inc. (LMVFC) is to provide a safe environment for the youth of our community to gather and educate on fire and rescue services, while providing positive social interaction with both the senior members of the organization and the community.
The CP will be a high-performance component of the LMVFC that serves as the stepping stone into the organization by developing high-functioning personnel ready to respond to emergencies as probationary members when they turn sixteen (16) years of age, and ready them to pass the required training necessary to become an interior firefighter.
The CP will instill these core values:
“I will not cheat, steal, lie, or tolerate anyone who does.”
The members of the CP identify the following priorities for its members:
- Providing for the safety of all
- Commitment to the community by providing an opportunity for youth to serve
- Respectful and courteous treatment of all people
- Educating peers on fire and life safety issues
- Open and honest communication
- Accountability for actions
- Requirements for admission: Must be between the ages of 11 – 15, submit an application, and be approved by the CP chairman.
- There will be an initial dues requirement of $20 and then an annual dues requirement of $20 per year after the first year. These are to be paid prior to September 1st.
- The CP will have its regular training night on Wednesday evenings at the fire station, from 1830 – 2030. There will also be the option for one weekend day a month for training as well—this will be communicated well in advance. Parents/Guardians are welcome to and are encouraged to stay, and must be timely with picking up their child.
- It is the responsibility of the parent/guardian to notify the CP Chairman if their child should be suspended because of grades. School comes first!
- Members are expected to assist with company functions and fundraisers (chicken BBQ, Mile Long Yard Sale, etc.).
- Each member will be given one t-shirt per year in September. Additional apparel items will be available to purchase as well.
- Members are not expected to attend regular LMVFC membership meetings.
- In addition to following the House Rules set forth by the LMVFC, members are expected to follow these additional rules as they specifically relate to the CP.
- Members are not allowed in the firehouse after 2100 hours on any given day without the permission of an officer.
- No member is allowed in the firehouse while school is in session without the permission of an officer.
- Respect the other members of the CP and the regular members of the LMVFC.
- Listen to all instructions and follow directions on all training drills for your own safety.
- No playing with radios or scanners.
- White boards and markers are not to be used as play things.
- Do not destroy, damage, or misuse fire company or private property.
- If you use the station, leave it as it was found or better.
- Bicycles are not to be parked in front of the station—park them out back.
- Maintain and provide accountability for any equipment in your possession.
- Keep your gear neat and in its proper place. Gear is NOT to be removed from the station without permission from a Chief Officer.
- Do not use anyone else’s gear without permission.
- Do not remove any equipment from vehicles without permission.
- Members are not allowed to ride on company vehicles without permission.
- It will not be the practice of members to respond on emergency calls. It is understood that there will be rare exceptions when this may in fact happen. They will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis.
- Members are not to show up at the scene of emergency calls, even with their parents; unless requested to do so by a Chief Officer.
Rules and Regulations
- The fire department is a paramilitary organization. During times of training and instruction, members will address officers by their title.
- Members shall conduct themselves in a proper manner at all times – respectful, courteous and kind.
- Back talk will not be tolerated.
- No profanity will be used by a member at any time.
- No smoking, drugs, or alcohol are allowed to be used by any member.
- Members must be neat and clean in appearance when representing the organization, including attire and hair.
- Members present in the station during a structured activity must participate or leave.
- Any member of the LMVFC may ask a CP member to leave the station due to misconduct. Repeated issues of misconduct will result in dismissal from the program.
- Any fire company business discussed at meetings will not be discussed outside of the department.